Cllr. Agnes Hobo
Secretary to the Mayor
OFFICE OF THE MAYOR
The mayor with a collective executive system has the following statutory powers and functions in terms of the Municipal Structures Act:
- Presides at meetings of the executive committee;
- Performs the duties, including any ceremonial functions, and exercises the powers delegated to her/him by the municipal council or the executive committee and
- Determine the date, time and venue of ordinary and special executive committee meetings.
Sections 52 – 59 of the MFMA spell out the responsibilities of Mayors regarding the financial and fiscal affairs of a municipality. The powers and duties assigned to the mayor in the MFMA, may be delegated by the council of the municipality to another member of the executive committee.
- Provide guidance over the fiscal and financial affairs of the municipality
- To oversee the preparation of the Annual Budget
- Provide political guidance over the budget process and the priorities that must guide the budget
- Monitor and oversee the chief financial officer and the municipal manager in the exercising of their responsibilities in terms of the Municipal Finance Management Act as provided for in the Act
- Ensure that the municipality performs it statutory functions in the limits of the approved budget
- Submit quarterly reports to Council on the implementation of the budget and the financial status of the municipality
- Guideline Document on the Roles and Responsibilities of Councillors and Officials
- To coordinate the annual revision of the IDP and preparation of the annual budget.
- To take reasonable steps to ensure that the municipality approves its annual budget before the start of the financial year, that the budget and services delivery implementation plan is finalizewithin 28 days after the approval of the budget and performance agreements are in line with legislation and are linked to measurable performance objectives.
- Allow the public access to the service delivery and budget implementation plans of the municipality, by making it available no later than 14 days after the approval of these plans
- Table the draft budget before the Council.
- Ensure that the reports to the council will adequately facilitate the council’s oversight functions.